Sunday, February 7, 2010

Malawian adventures - Feb 2010

Here's an update...

Projects that I have been doing with some of the people here in Malawi.

I have come across a program called ANAMED and it deals with the use of what God has created in the way of trees and plants that can be used to better ones health.

I have made ointment that is healthful to the skin with a couple of groups.
There are soo many trees around us here that have many uses. Most of the locals do not understand their use beyond shade or for wood to burn here and it is very sad!


They have really enjoyed making and using the ointment and have had good results/benefits on their skin. Those that were not in attendance when we made it, have asked for some as well. I am making another batch of Neem ointment this week, to give to those that missed out and share with others as needed. Neem has an anti-fungal agent in it that helps a lot of the skin issues here. Many have stated that it has calmed their irritated skin and stopped itching as well.

I continue to work at the language (this will be clearly a lifetime adventure) and adjusting to the extreme heat (trying).

I have been to the BIG city multiple times this past month trying to get the required processes completed and in order with one more trip soon to complete my TEP VISA process (my 2 year work VISA). It has been approved and paid for, I just have to wait for the person the types up the “completed” letter so I can get that stamped in my passport!
This trip is a long adventure and often takes days to deal with each issue. I am getting familiar with the roads and some of the area in Blantyre (the Big city).
I do not have my own transportation yet, so I try to catch rides with the other local missionaries when they head that way. I have also had to take the local busses and mini busses to the big city and around. That is an adventure in itself!
It is about 3 ½ to 4 hours one way and is where we all do most of our shopping for supplies and groceries.

My garden is doing well and we are beginning to enjoy the produce from it.

I have tried to upload pictures a few times with no success (even very small ones), so will try to do it at another time. Sorry! The internet here is not good! It is very expensive and it still doesn't give you what you have paid for.

PLEASE PRAY:

For my continued work in learning the Yao language and to not be discouraged.

For the local M..lims, that they would seek the truth and for many to see visions and dreams from our Lord!

For my cottage to sell. This has been a BIG distraction and costly.

For continued good studies for both of my kids (Danielle and Rob) as they are furthering their education.

THANK YOU!

1 comment:

  1. So good to read your updates!! (except the part about the critters :-( Will continue to pray for your adjustments and safety as you reflect God's love to all around you.

    ReplyDelete